23 February 2009

Personal Commitment

"

Many times in life we start out with good intentions to make changes in our lives. Whether perfecting our trade, relationship building, or just being a better person. So often, good intentions fail and fail because of the lack of commitment. Commitment is not a word to be afraid of.

I was one of the lucky ones. Several years ago, I decided to make changes in my life by removing the bad and adding the good back into the mix (my life). Commitment was one of the words that I wrote down at the beginning of my journey. By definition, personal commitment means "a pledge or promise to ones' self for personal growth." The word commitment will mean different things to different people. All depends on our purpose and our goal. My goal was to take back what had been missing in my life and return to what I needed for my journey to reach internal purpose or happiness in life. Photography, as simple as that may be to some it was one part of my life that was missing. And, by my commitment to me in making changes has allowed me to find one of the missing pieces.

Several weeks ago I had the fortune of reading a blog posting from my yoga studio's website. The posting was written by Todd Goldfarb, the producer of "the Shift." In his posting he spoke of the struggle between "Internal Purpose vs. External Purpose." Here are 5 steps that Todd discusses for manifesting "internal purpose"

Ask yourself the question "what do I really want in life"
Make a practice of sitting in silence
Become a seeker of people and information
Create outlets where you monitor your progress
Be OK with initial struggle

To some this may seem too simple. If we all just do these simple 5 steps then we can reach our true "internal purpose". But, these are not simple tasks. If you are true to yourself and true to your commitment, these steps will take time!

I encourage all to be positive and look for the good around us and think about the next time you use the word commitment!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: